GLOBAL YOUTH SERVICE DAY PROJECT!
Recycling Drive: March 15th – April 12th, 2014
Volunteer Day: Saturday, April 12th, 2014 at Harlem Grown’s Urban Farm, 118 W. 134th Street
Harlem Grown is celebrating all things GREEN this upcoming April as we plant our gardens and host a BIG recycling drive for Global Youth Service Day and Earth Day! DID YOU KNOW the average American generates 4.5 pounds of waste per day and only 1.1 pounds of that waste is currently being recycled? The EPA estimates that over 75% of solid waste is recyclable but only 30% is actually recycled. We can do better!
Join our recycling drive from mid-March to mid-April to help reduce YOUR impact on the environment! Our goal is to eliminate HUNDREDS of pounds of trash from the waste stream!
Join Our Recycling Drive
It’s easy! Simply collect the hard-to-recycle items listed below at home for the next few weeks. Then, bring your items with you on Saturday, April 12th to the Volunteer Day or call us at 212-870-0113 and arrange a time to drop-off your items.
Come to the GYSD Volunteer Day!
We are hosting a volunteer day on Saturday, April 12th from 10AM to 2PM to gather all of the items we collected, sort, weigh, and package them to send to TerraCycle.
We ask all volunteers to bring at least FIVE items for our recycling drive (i.e. 5 chip bags). Volunteers can also help with garden-preparation tasks at our urban farm! Please RSVP here.
Interested in learning more about our partners? Check out their websites:
- TerraCycle – www.terracycle.com
- Global Youth Service Day – www.gysd.org
- Youth Service America – www.ysa.org
What Are We Recycling?
We are partnering with TerraCycle to recycle as much waste as possible. TerraCycle is a highly-awarded upcycling and recycling company that recycles difficult-to-recycle packaging Viagra and products that are often considered trash. TerraCycle repurposes the material into affordable, innovative products while simultaneously helping to divert the material from going into a landfill or incinerator.
We are collecting the following items (DOWNLOAD FLYER HERE):
- Snack and chip bags (i.e. Cheetos, Lays, Fritos)
- Energy bar, granola bar, protein bar wrappers (i.e. Clif bars)
- Cheese packaging: block cheese, string cheese, shredded cheese, deli style cheese packaging, kraft singles packaging
- Drink pouches (i.e. Capri Sun)
- Cereal bags (inside the cereal box)
- Hot cereal pouches (oatmeal packages)
- Baby and toddler food pouches
- Yogurt tubs and lids
- Cheese tubs and lids
- Butter and margarine tubs and lids
- Pudding tubs and lids
- Sour cream tubs and lids
- Hummus containers and lids
- Hummus container foil tops or plastic films
- Cosmetics packaging – lipstick cases, mascara tubes, eye shadow cases, bronzer cases, foundation packaging and bottles, powder cases, eyeliner cases & eyeliner pencils, eye shadow tubs, concealer tubes, lip liner pencils
- Lotion bottles and dispensers
- Body wash containers
- Soap tubes and dispensers
- Shaving Foam tubes (no cans)
- Shampoo & Conditioner bottles & caps
- Hair gel tubes & caps
- Hair spray bottles & triggers
- Toothpaste tubes & caps
- Floss containers
- Toothbrush & toothpaste outer packaging (box/plastic)
Ink Cartridges & Office Supplies
- Inkjet cartridges
- Toner cartridges
- Plastic tape dispensers & cores
- Mechanical pencils
- Pens, markers, highlighters
About Global Youth Service Day
Celebrating 26 years, Global Youth Service Day (April 11-13, 2014) recognizes the positive impact that young people have to their communities year-round. Held each year in April, Global Youth Service Day is a viagra online discount time when millions of young people come together for celebrations and community service projects, often designed to address and raise awareness around tough community issues. With GYSD projects in all 50 states and more than 100 countries, GYSD is the largest service event in the world.]]>
What a day!Â]]>
Lady of Estonia.
Mrs Ilves has a great interest in the wellbeing of children so was keen to learn about our school,ÃÂ
we enter phase 2 of our very ambitious urban farming initiative, I am proud to announce the completion of our hydroponic greenhouse, that will produce up to 500 bunches of micro greens a week. Twenty five percent will be giving to the families at our school, while the remaining seventy five percent will be purchased by Corner Social (Local restaurant).